This month’s recipe is an untraditional take on coleslaw. The raw vegetables, garlic, lime juice and olive oil provide a detoxifying nutritional punch that not only cleanses the body but also protects it with an assortment of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and other disease-fighting properties. This recipe is not only full of nutrients, but it also lacks much of the fat and richness of many mayonnaise-based coleslaws.
Enjoy this kale slaw by itself or as an addition to your favorite taco or sandwich. The recipe serves 8, but you probably won’t go wrong eating the whole thing on your own!
- 2 bunches of kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot (or 2 small), peeled and shredded
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Simply prep all ingredients and mix them together well. Refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
Calories: 95 / Fat: 3g / Saturated Fat: 0g / Carbohydrates: 9g / Fiber: 4g / Protein: 4g