Whether you are busy training for Ramblin Rose this month or you are just dealing with the generic chaos of life as we start a new year, this month’s recipe is healthy and easy to prepare for anyone with a limited schedule. The prep work for this three-bean chili is fairly quick. It can be left alone for an hour after it is put together, and it will keep in the fridge all week. One pot of this chili can be a source of multiple meals for days, and it also freezes great in individual containers to have on hand for the weeks or even months that lie ahead. The slow-burning carbohydrates in this chili make for great fuel before a workout, however the high nutrient content and amount of protein in the beans also provides for a nearly perfect recovery meal as well. One pot serves 12.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can dark beer
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14 ounce can chili or pinto beans
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- In a large pot, sauté onions, peppers and garlic in the olive oil at medium high heat until soft and translucent. Add tomato paste, beer and seasonings and reduce for about 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for cilantro. Stir well, bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cilantro and adjust seasoning as desired by adding more salt, hot sauce or other seasonings.
- Garnish with nonfat Greek yogurt, chopped scallions and low fat cheese if preferred.
Saturated Fat: 1g
Check Out My Business Website
Check out more information about my business, YourWayCuisine.com